Q&A FOR YOU
- Do you have a new jeep or truck and are thinking about getting out and locking in the 4 Wheel Drive somewhere?
- Do you have a 4 Wheel Drive but are really hesitant about getting out Off-Roading?
- Do you think this sport is only for young males to impress their young friends?
- How many times have we jumped right into something new before reading the directions and suggestions?
- Have you heard about damaged jeeps, rollovers, and the like?
Well listen up very closely YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
- You probably are thinking about getting into some mud, driving some rough roads, and climbing a few hills. Sounds innocent enough right, but even this can get you in to trouble and it can get very expensive and dangerous if you don’t know some of the basic rules of Off-Roading.
- Having a 4×4 Jeep or Truck and not enjoying all of the features you paid for is like buying an in-ground swimming pool and using it for a goldfish bowl. I know I know – you bought it for the great gas millage and high safety rating on the highway right? Now, the hesitant 4 wheeler is usually cautious and that will pay off for you with some basic training and directions you can confidently start some mild trail riding and start you down the road of enjoying the great outdoors Off-Roading in some really cool places.
- We have been Off-Roading for many years and the people who consistently join clubs and groups & stay into the sport are all ages and both sexes. Many peeps are 30 to 60 and many ladies have their own 4 Wheel Drives.
- Starting out 4 wheeling without much direction or minimal help happens more often than you think (probably to someone you know whether they will admit it or not) and people do this for many reasons which I will shortly review, but the end result of this is: parts stores, tow trucks, mechanics and body shops – they love you!
Here are some of the basic reasons this happens:
- Over confidence and/or embarrassed to say I need help.
- They got out by themselves and ran into problems (many off-road parks will put you out of cell phone range).
- Alcohol or drugs got in the mix (gas and alcohol do not mix).
- You have been riding motor cycles and quads for years (not even the same).
- I have no fear and I like the gas pedal (please don’t take passengers with you and you will find that only works in a few select places) – hopefully far away from other people.
THIS IS WHERE THE DEAL MEETS THE RUBBER
We have seen consistently that new people to 4 Wheeling who run into problems right away, damage their vehicle, and don’t have much fun on their first few outings have not:
- Had much if any instructional material to go by
- Know the basics of Off-Roading
- Gotten their 4X4 ready for the trail
- Had all of the basic gear or other things they needed for the day
BUT THEY HAD BEEN
- Assured by someone that they would “watch out for them on the trail”
- In group meetings and maybe they cover enough stuff and maybe they did not
- Asking questions and did not get good information
- To embarrassed to ask basic questions because they felt like their questions would make them seem stupid or less than
- Told by someone who sold them the 4X4 “there’s nothing to it – here is how to put it in 4 wheel drive and take it easy for a while. Thanks for your continued business come back soon for our grand opening”
- Told to get in a line of Jeepers and 4 Wheelers with other new people with a guide and maybe a tailgunner who could not possibly help them through everything they will face, and could not even know what someone does or don’t know in the 10 minutes before they hit the trail……..
You are not stupid and the only question that is stupid – is the one that you don’t asked. You may have been 4 wheeling some, but still have a lot of un-answered questions. It would also help to have some good, organized direction from people who have lots of experience and are willing to take the time to make it available to you. We are those people and we have a very easy to follow step by step manual for newbies to go by. So drop Papa a note through one of my links and let me know you want the manual and we will work that out for you!!